The Scottish Liberal Democrats support Scotland staying in the UK, and the UK staying in the EU.
We want to reform the United Kingdom into a federal state and elect our MPs using Proportional Representation. This is because we want to see a union of equals.
We are a liberal party both in terms of economics and with civil liberties. We want to decarbonise capitalism and give young people a sustainable future for them to live in. We want to end generation rent, give trans people the rights they deserve, and treat mental health with the same sense of urgency and respect as physical health.
We want to give everyone the opportunity to succeed in life, we want Scotland to stay in both its unions, and we want a future which is clean and sustainable.
- We want to help everyone to achieve their potential.
- We stand with the weak against the strong, and will use the power of government to tackle the social and economic injustices that limit freedom.
- We believe power is safer when it is shared and that communities and individuals should have the right to control their lives and participate in democracy.
- We are trustees of our world and our society. It is our duty to pass on a sustainable legacy to benefit future generations.
The 2016 Scottish Liberal Democrats Holyrood manifesto restated our commitment to making Scotland's education the best in the world.
- We want to fund colleges and build their role back up for people who seek new skills, and one of the ways we would do this is by providing £30m of bursaries and support for students in higher and further education.
- We want to raise the threshold for student loan repayments to £21,000 to cut the monthly payments graduates would have to make.
- We want to see 30,000 new apprenticeships made available to give Scotland the wide range of skills it needs to take us into the future.
- We do not want to introduce tuition fees.
- We want a radical reform of the healthcare system, to make Scotland's healthcare the best it can be.
- We want to increase the number of beds available for mental health treatment - which is especially dire north of Dundee.
- We want to make it the law that mental health is given the same priority as physical health.
- We want to recruit and train more GPs so that people are given the care they need.
- We want to reform drug policy. We want to legalise cannabis and focus drug policy on supply and not possession.
Climate Change and the Environment
- We want to invest in renewable energy such as geothermal and solar so that we can have a clean and sustainable energy supply.
- We are ambitious and want to beat Scotland's climate change targets. Our future is at stake, and radical moves are required to give us a bright future.
- We want to invest in public transport so that people don't feel forced to use polluting cars to commute
- We are completely opposed to fracking and open cast coal mining, and will not allow it to go ahead in Scotland.
- Work with businesses to reduce their carbon footprint and set an example for the rest of the world to follow.
- We want Scotland to stay in the UK and the UK in the EU - why exclude ourselves from either?
- We want a truly federal United Kingdom, which treats all its members as a union of equals.
- We want to ensure that the rights of transgender people are protected. Trans rights are human rights, it's that simple.